You’re ready to start blogging but don’t know where to begin? This article will teach you everything you need to know about amateur blogging.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through everything you need to know to launch and grow a successful amateur blog this year, from choosing a niche to promoting your content.
So You Want to Start a Blog? The Essential Steps
|Pick a niche||Choose a specific topic that you’re passionate about to focus your blog content. This will attract a target audience.|
|Get your tools||You’ll need a domain name, web hosting, and a content management system like WordPress.|
|Design your site||Make it visually appealing with a simple, clean layout, easy navigation, and engaging visuals.|
|Create compelling content||Write posts that provide value to readers. Use images, lists, headers, and other formatting to break up text.|
|Promote your blog||Leverage social media, guest posts, influencer marketing, and email lists to drive consistent traffic.|
|Monetize your blog||Make money through ads, affiliates, products, services, sponsors, and perhaps a membership model.|
|Analyze and optimize||Use analytics to see what content works and continually test and improve over time.|
Why Amateur Blogging is a Great Idea in 2023
Blogging has exploded in popularity over the past decade. Here are some key reasons why now is a fantastic time to start an amateur blog:
- Low barrier to entry: Creating a blog today is easier and cheaper than ever before thanks to free platforms like WordPress and Blogger. You don’t need design or coding skills to get started.
- Be your own boss: As an amateur blogger, you have full control over your content and can write about whatever topics interest you.
- Express your creativity: Blogging allows you to showcase your unique voice. It’s a great outlet for sharing your thoughts, experiences, and passions.
- Build a community: By providing value through your writing, you can develop an audience and connections in your niche. Blogging helps you meet like-minded people.
- Gain new skills: You’ll pick up valuable abilities like writing, marketing, social media, and basic web design as you build your blog.
- Make money: While earning an income from a new blog takes time and effort, it’s possible through avenues like affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, product sales, and more.
With over 600 million blogs out there today, amateur blogging remains as popular as ever in 2023. The possibilities are endless if you commit to regular publishing of high-quality content.
How to Choose a Niche for Your Amateur Blog
Picking a specific niche is one of the most critical steps when starting a blog. Your niche will define your audience, content style, monetization options, and more.
Here are some tips for selecting the right niche:
- Choose a topic you’re passionate about – This will make creating content long-term much easier and enjoyable.
- Ensure there is demand – Research keywords and competition to see if people are interested in your niche. Tools like Google Keyword Planner help.
- Consider your expertise – It’s ideal to blog about a subject you have knowledge, experience, or qualifications in. Readers value experts.
- Evaluate monetization potential – Some niches have clearer paths to earning income through affiliates, products, services, etc.
- Stay focused – Avoid overly broad niches that lack direction. Narrow it down to build a loyal audience.
Popular amateur blogging niches include food, parenting, fashion, travel, photography, fitness, lifestyle, and more. Do keyword research to find a specific angle within your broader niche for the best chance of success.
How to Choose a Platform for Your Amateur Blog
You’ll need to publish your amateur blog on a blogging platform. Here are the top options to consider with the pros and cons of each:
- Open source and free to use
- Customizable with plugins and themes
- Easy to use even for beginners
- Builds SEO with its architecture
- Allows monetization and ecommerce
- Requires paying for web hosting
- More complex site management
- Risk of security issues
- Completely free to use
- Easy publishing for beginners
- Quick setup with Google accounts
- Integrates well with Google services
- Limited customization options
- Hosted on subdomains
- Locked into Google’s ecosystem
- Limited monetization features
- Very quick and easy to publish
- Built-in audience on platform
- Clean, minimalist interface
- Lack of customization ability
- No monetization options
- Strict content guidelines
- You don’t own your audience
For most amateur bloggers, we recommend starting with WordPress using affordable shared hosting or free options like WordPress.com. This gives you the most control and room to grow versus other platforms.
How to Choose a Domain Name and Hosting for Your Amateur Blog
Once you’ve decided on a blogging platform, you’ll need to choose a domain name and web hosting if going with a self-hosted service like WordPress.
Here are some tips for picking the right domain when starting your amateur blog:
- Make it short, simple, and easy to remember
- Use keywords relevant to your niche
- Get a .com extension if possible
- Ensure the .com domain is available
- Consider using your name or brand
- Test it out with friends to see if they can recall it
Next, you’ll need web hosting. Shared hosting plans are the most budget-friendly option starting at just a few dollars per month.
When comparing options, look for:
- Reliable uptime and performance
- Quick page load speeds
- Secure servers and backups
- Good storage space and bandwidth
- Strong customer service and support
A top, affordable option is Bluehost, which enables you to get started with WordPress hosting for just $2.75 per month.
How to Create Content for Your Amateur Blog
Consistently creating high-quality content is critical to build an audience for your amateur blog.
Follow these tips for crafting excellent blog posts and content:
- Write practical, useful content – This could include how-tos, tips lists, product recommendations, etc. Offer actionable advice.
- Format content for scannability – Use short paragraphs, subheadings, bullets, and bold text to make your posts easy to digest.
- Optimize posts for SEO – Include target keywords, meta descriptions, alt text, headings, etc. This helps you rank in search engines and get traffic.
- Insert visuals – Images, graphics, videos, GIFs, and more break up text and engage readers.
- Link to resources – Reference other top-quality websites through internal links and links to external sources where relevant.
- Proofread thoroughly – Avoid grammar and spelling errors by carefully proofreading each post.
- Write consistently – Publish new blog content on a regular schedule, at minimum 1-2x per week to build trust and authority.
Experiment with different types of content like tutorials, list posts, reviews, interviews, and personal stories to appeal to your amateur blogging audience.
How to Optimize Your Amateur Blog for SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) is key for getting your amateur blog found online and driving traffic.
Here are some best practices for optimizing your blog for SEO:
- Conduct keyword research using tools like Google Keyword Planner to identify terms and topics people search for related to your niche.
- Include these keywords naturally throughout your content. Aim for a 1-2% keyword density.
- Write meta descriptions optimized for your target keywords. Keep them under 160 characters.
- Use your keyword in the titles and headings (H1, H2 tags) of each post. Format them well for SEO.
- Place important keywords toward the beginning of titles and content.
- Create internal links between your posts using anchor text keywords.
- Build high-quality backlinks from other websites to signal authority to search engines.
- Create XML sitemaps and submit them to Google Search Console.
- Add alt text to images with keywords for SEO benefits.
- Publish new content consistently, as fresh content helps with organic rankings.
With fundamental technical SEO optimized as you create content, your amateur blog can better gain traction in search results over time.
Neglecting Search Engine Optimization SEO
SEO is the process of optimizing a website or blog’s content so that people can find it when they’re searching online. This is an essential part of any business strategy because if people can’t find what you sell, you won’t make money.
Many amateur bloggers don’t know about or forget to factor SEO into the pictures, but the process is straightforward! The goal is basically to tell Google what your blog post is about and prove that you offer value (or is at the very least relevant) for that specific search intent of the keyword you’re targeting.
This means that you’ll want to do “keyword research” ahead of time.
How to Promote Your Amateur Blog
You’ll need to actively promote your amateur blog to reach readers and grow your audience beyond SEO.
Some effective tactics to market a new blog include:
- Leverage social media – Share your posts in relevant Facebook Groups, subreddits, LinkedIn communities, etc.
- Run contests and giveaways – Encourage social shares for prizes to quickly expand your reach.
- Publish guest posts – Partner with other blogs in your niche to write posts with backlinks.
- Comment on forums and blogs – Leave thoughtful comments with a link back to build relationships.
- Email newsletter – Send email updates when you publish new content. Tools like Mailchimp help.
- Pinterest marketing – Share your posts and link back to your site using relevant Pinterest boards.
- Connect on niche networks – Interact in your industry on sites like Quora, Discord, Slack, or specialized forums.
- Tell friends and family – Don’t forget to share your blog URL with those in your personal network.
Amplifying your content across social media and other channels is vital, especially when first launching an amateur blog.
How to Monetize Your Amateur Blog
While making significant income takes time, you can start monetizing an amateur blog from day one.
Some popular options include:
- Affiliate marketing – Promote relevant products and earn commissions through programs like Amazon Associates.
- Display advertising – Serve ads through Google AdSense or directly sell ads to relevant brands.
- Sponsored posts – Create sponsored content, reviews, or tutorials for brands in your niche.
- Sell products or services – Offer your own physical/digital products, freelance services, online courses, etc.
- Insert affiliate links – Naturally link to affiliate products you recommend in your posts.
- Sell merchandise – Create branded apparel, mugs, accessories, or other merch.
- Paid subscriptions – Charge readers a monthly fee for premium content and perks.
- Crowdfunding – Use platforms like Patreon where fans support your work through recurring payments.
Focus first on providing tremendous value through your amateur blog content. Once you build an audience, there are endless ways to potentially monetize your influence over time.
How to Measure and Improve Your Amateur Blog’s Performance
Tracking key metrics is crucial to assess what’s working well and identify areas for improvement with your amateur blog.
Some top data points to measure include:
- Page views – How many times your posts get viewed
- Sessions – The number of visitor sessions to your blog
- Bounce rate – The percentage who leave after one page
- Audience demographics – Location, age, gender of readers
- Traffic sources – Where visits come from (organic, social, etc)
- Engagement – Comments, shares, email subscribers
- Conversion rates – Sales, opt-ins, or other goals
Free analytics platforms like Google Analytics help you monitor this data.
You can then use these insights to guide decisions like:
- Improving individual posts that get low engagement
- Creating more content around high-performing topics
- Promoting poorly performing posts
- Optimizing pages for higher conversion rates
- Doubling down on your best traffic sources
Consistently analyzing your amateur blog’s metrics enables data-driven decisions to foster growth. Don’t guess – rely on data.
How to Overcome Common Challenges and Pitfalls of Amateur Blogging
Launching and maintaining an amateur blog comes with challenges. Being aware of these common pitfalls can help you address them proactively.
Some of the top struggles beginning bloggers face include:
- Getting started and beating procrastination
- Maintaining motivation and consistency
- Fighting writer’s block and lack of ideas
- Finding your creative voice and confidence
- Balancing blogging with work, school, or family
- Dealing with imposter syndrome and self-doubt
- Handling technical challenges and learning curves
- Staying patient for slow growth in early days
However, many amateur bloggers have overcome these hurdles to build thriving blogs. You can too with the right mindset tactics:
- Set a blogging schedule and stick to it
- Batch create content when inspired
- Study successful blogs in your niche
- Reframe failures and mistakes as learning
- Celebrate small milestones and achievements
- Connect with fellow bloggers for support
- Outsource technical tasks if needed
By anticipating challenges and having a plan to tackle them, you can avoid the pitfalls that derail many beginning bloggers. Expect hurdles but don’t let them stop you.
What is amateur blogging?
Why should I start an amateur blog?
How do I choose a blogging platform?
What topics can I write about in my amateur blog?
How can I attract readers to my amateur blog?
Starting an amateur blog is an exciting endeavor that opens up creative opportunities, new connections, and potential income. While launching a successful blog takes work, the tips in this guide equip you with the fundamental knowledge needed to thrive.
The first step is getting started! Have clarity on your niche and brand. Choose the right platform and hosting. Set up basic technical SEO. And publish some initial content.
Consistency and patience are key. Promote your blog across social channels. Learn as you grow. And keep providing evergreen value for your readers above all else.
To dig deeper into launching and monetizing a profitable blog, check out my other in-depth posts on amateur blogging.
- How to Easily Start a Blog and Make Money in 2023wix.com How to easily start a blog and monetize it in 2023. Rebecca Strehlow … Think about the kinds of “best of” or “how to” posts you might write.
- How to Start a Successful Blog in 2023 – The Minimaliststheminimalists.com Jul 5, 2023 … Creating this blog is one of the best decisions Ryan and I ever made. … Writing blog posts is not only a great way to improve your blog …
- How to Write a Blog Post in 10 Steps – 2023 – MasterClassmasterclass.com Dec 15, 2021 … Writing blog posts can help an entrepreneur promote a business or help … The best blog posts offer a personal take on an issue or subject …
- How to Write a Blog Post in 2023: The Ultimate Guidesmartblogger.com May 6, 2023 … 1. Craft a Great Headline That Readers Can’t Resist.
- How To Write A Blog Post: The Ultimate Guide For 2023 [+ Free …moosend.com To ensure that readers give your blog post a read, you need a great headline. A good headline should be unique, concise, and reflective of the content, …
- How to Start a Blog in 2023 – Easy Guide to Create a Blog for …theblogstarter.com In short, a blog is a type of website that focuses mainly on written content, also known as blog posts. In popular culture we most often hear about news …
I’m Alexios Papaioannou, an experienced affiliate marketer and content creator. With a decade of expertise, I excel in crafting engaging blog posts to boost your brand. My love for running fuels my creativity. Let’s create exceptional content together!